Welcoming in a New Year…and taking time to reflect on the past year, I am so thankful for my wonderful clients and all the fantastic animals that I get to watch over and care for. I’m looking forward to another great year of service! 2017-here we come!!
Holiday Glow Don’t leave lighted candles unattended. Pets may burn themselves or cause a fire if they knock candles over. Be sure to use appropriate candleholders, placed on a stable surface. And if you leave the room, put the candles out!
Wired Up Keep wires, batteries and glass or plastic ornaments out of paws’ reach. A wire can deliver a potentially lethal electrical shock and a punctured battery can cause burns to the mouth and esophagus, while shards of breakable ornaments can damage your pet’s mouth.
Mistletoe & Holly Holly, when ingested, can cause pets to suffer nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. Mistletoe can cause gastrointestinal upset and cardiovascular problems. Also many varieties of lilies can cause kidney failure in cats if ingested. Opt for pet-safe options.
Tinsel Town Kitties love this sparkly, light-catching “toy” that’s easy to bat around and carry in their mouths. But a nibble can lead to a swallow, which can lead to an obstructed digestive tract, severe vomiting, dehydration and possible surgery. It’s best to brighten your boughs with something other than tinsel.
Toy Joy (Dogs) have been known to tear their toys apart and swallowing the pieces, which can then become lodged in the esophagus, stomach or intestines. Stick with chew toys that are basically indestructible, Kongs that can be stuffed with healthy foods or chew treats that are designed to be safely digestible. (Cats) Long, stringy things are a feline’s dream, but the most risky toys for cats involve ribbon, yarn and loose little parts that can get stuck in the intestines, often requiring surgery. Surprise kitty with a new ball that’s too big to swallow, a stuffed catnip toy or the interactive cat dancer—and tons of play sessions.
Feeding Frenzy By now you know not to feed your pets chocolate and anything sweetened with xylitol. Make sure to keep your pets away from the table and unattended plates of food, and be sure to secure the lids on garbage cans. Also, let your guests know that NO table scraps or food of any kind should be offered to your pets.
Here’s wishing you and your fur family a beautiful holiday season!!
I just stumbled unto a new product that looks amazing! It’s a 21st century id tag for your pets. FurCode is a metal laser engraved QR code that attaches to your pets collar or as a separate hanging tag. If you find a dog or cat running loose (or someone finds your dog or cat), you just scan the collar/tag with your smartphone and you can help get the animal back to it’s home. And it’s very affordable!